Biggs, Deschutes County Oregon 1959

In 1959, age 22, I was hitchhiking from Biggs, Oregon down U.S. Highway 97 to Klamath Falls. About halfway through the trip I was picked up by a man who asked if I planned to do any camping in the Cascades. I said, “no.” He said, "Good, because there are things up there that will kill you quick." I said, "You mean grizzlies?" which I had seen in Yellowstone. "No," he replied. "Not grizzlies." And he told me this story, which I am paraphrasing. ..

"I used to work for a company that builds logging roads. One day we got a report that one of our roads (he didn't say where) had washed out. I went out in my truck to find out what would be needed to fix it. About three or four miles from the highway I noticed a rocky outcropping, and something glinting in the sun. I was an amateur prospector, always looking for signs of a strike. I stopped my truck, took out my rock hammer, and walked up to the outcropping, which was about 10 feet high. I started chipping away at the rock, trying to get a sample, When I stopped hammering, I heard a clicking sound from the bushes across the road, about 60 feet away. It sounded like someone knocking two stones together. I wasn't afraid, because I had a .45 on my hip. So I resumed chipping. When I stopped, I again heard the clicking sound, which was louder. I yelled toward the bushes, saying 'Come out and show yourself!"

I started chipping again, and suddenly a stone the size of a grapefruit smashed into the rock face about three feet from my head. If it had hit me, it would have killed me. I dropped my hammer, pulled my .45, and picked up the stone, which was rolling toward the road. I tried to throw it back into the bushes, but it was so heavy I could only toss it seven feet. Scared and angry, I crossed the road, shouting curse words and fired a shot in the air. At that point I heard something moving rapidly through the bushes and fading away alongside to the road. I continued watching in that direction and suddenly there it was, a black, hairy two-legged being sort of bent over but moving fast. Then it was gone, just like that. I looked around in the bushes and saw a few broken branches but nothing else. But there was a terrible stink in the air. I got into my truck and drove back to the highway in a hurry. A couple of years later I told a friend what happened and he knew all about these creatures.

He said they don't hurt people, which I didn't believe for a second, and the stone that was thrown in my direction was probably just a warning. He also said the creatures don't usually smell bad, but when they are mad or frightened, they spray some kind a stinky liquid, like a skunk does. That was it.

I had never heard of Bigfoot before that and did not believe the story, thinking he was pulling the leg of a dude from the east. But I pretended to believe him because he was giving me a free ride in his truck. It wasn't until many years later I began hearing reports about Bigfoot and remembered the story I heard in Oregon. I still wonder if it might be a hoax of some kind,

Delaware Cross, New Jersey
Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Back to What's New?
Back to Stories??
Back to Newspaper & Magazine Articles

Portions of this website are reprinted and sometimes edited to fit the standards of this website
under the Fair Use Doctrine of International Copyright Law
as educational material without benefit of financial gain.