Bigfoot Encounters

Chenango County, Bainbridge New York 1961

My Bigfoot sighting occurred on our Dairy Farm in Chenango County, South of Bainbridge, NY in May, 1961 when I was 14 years old.
The sighting was around 1 pm in the afternoon in our farm hillside woodlot which was made up of primarily Oak, Maple, Cherry, and Beech trees.
At the time, I was active in boy scouts, and having my own camp site was a priority. I located my campsite next to a small spring. Now to a 14 year old boy, this meant all the comforts of home in a campsite. Plenty of wood for campfires, plenty of water, and plenty of protection against the elements in this section of woodland.
I was going into the campsite, when I heard a rustling noise at the spring. Thinking it might be a deer coming in for a drink, I moved as quietly as I could in the underbrush. Instead of a deer, about fifty to hundred feet from me, up rose this coal black form, looking directly at me.
At first I couldn't figure out what I was looking at. My brain just couldn't sort it out. It wasn't a bear. In the shade of the trees, it's eye reflected a brilliant yellow, and it's coat was shiny black.... Very broad shoulders, no neck to speak of and it's head was rounded like a human's. What bothered me was I could not discern a face. It seemed covered in hair. The eyes seemed to be peeking out of hair that fell over its face.
It's arms were at it's side, and I could not see below it's torso, as brush covered it's lower half, so I could not see it's hands, or feet. It had a very board trunk. It would estimate it's height at around 6 feet. It just stood there swaying side to side looking at me, as if to say, "What I am looking at?" just as I was. It never made any sound.
Now I had heard of Bigfoot. Ol' Dad had a subscription to True Magazine and I had read Ivan Sanderson's stories (Jerry Crew, Ray Wallace & John Green etc), but Bigfoot lived in the Pacific Northwest, not the East.
When it dawned on me that I was looking at a Bigfoot, shear panic and fear gripped me. I blasted out of there like a rifle shot. I ran down through the woods to a four strand barbed wire fence that separated the woodlot from a Christmas tree plantation, and cleared it easily in one jump. At this point I lost my sweater that I had tied around my waist. (It had warmed up considerably that day) I continued to run through our Christmas tree plantation, cleared another fence, and when I reached open pasture looked back. Nothing was following me.
I made it back to our farm buildings in record time,(about a half mile from the sighting location) when I realized I had lost my sweater.
If I recall correctly my parents and younger brother were away at the time on a shopping trip to Binghamton, NY and I was by myself. I decided to go back for my sweater, so I went to our farm shop and got out our trusty Stephens single shot shotgun for courage, (I knew it would not kill - let alone stop a Sasquatch) and went back after my sweater.
As I approached the fence where I lost it, I could hear something walking up the fence line. It must have known I had come back, because it sounded like it was stomping branches as if to say, "don't come near me, stay away." 

I found my sweater, neatly draped over the top strand of the fence (?) and tried to follow the Sasquatch up the fence line. There were several times I knew I was getting near him, but could not bring myself to get closer. Finally, I gave up my pursuit, and went home.
As I review this event, I would say I probably surprised a juvenile who was drinking at the spring. I would estimate it was a male as I saw no breasts, or female features.

Regarding the hair hanging down over his face, I note that Loren Coleman has written about this feature of the Ohio Woolie Booger or other Eastern sightings. It could be that he came up so fast from getting a drink that he didn't have time to slick his hair back.
I have told few people about the event. Later I told my family I had seen a bear. I note that many after a sighting are afraid to go back to the sighting location.  I was never afraid to be alone in the woods, however, I noticed in early February or March I would feel at times as if I was being watched, however, it seemed that was the only time of year that I felt uncomfortable.
Since I moved to the Northwest in 1987 I have kept up my investigations, however I have never seen anything like it since, yet I have experienced a couple of incidents where I believe I heard howls or calls.
Jon Nichols

Uploaded: Saturday, September 5, 2009
Sketch added January 2011

Back to stories

Back to Bigfoot Encounters Main page
Back to Newspaper & Magazine Articles
Bigfoot Encounters "What's New" page

Portions of this website are reprinted and sometimes edited to fit the standards of this website
under the Fair Use Doctrine of International Copyright Law
as educational material without benefit of financial gain.
This proviso is applicable throughout the entire Bigfoot Encounters Website.