Main Page State by State sightings

Vernon Parish, Louisiana
June 1986

Closest road US Hwy 171; nearest city is Leesville

Castor Creek area

It was approximately 2 AM Two of my cousins and me were asleep in our open-air tent alongside of Castor Creek. (Known to the locals as "Sam's Old Bottom") At 2 AM one of my cousins was awakened by the sound of something walking alongside our ten area. When he was awake enough to realize that he was looking at he screamed. My other cousin and I immediately awakened and saw an approx 6 to 6½ ft tall creature running around alongside our tent the wooded area on the other side of our tent. At no time did the creature make any moves toward us to cause us any harm. However, after it was on the other side of the tented area from where my cousin first saw it, the creature did stop for about 5 - 10 seconds and looked back at us and then turned around and went into the wooded area and out of our sight. At sunrise (approx. 5:45 AM) my cousins and I packed our tent and left the area on our way out. We did observe some broken tree limbs around our campsite that were not there when we set up our campsite the day before.

As best I could tell because it was pitch dark, the creature stood approx 6 feet tall or maybe taller. It has what seemed to be reddish-brown hair (short) all over its body. There seemed to be no neck at all. I would guess the animal would have probably weighed between 350 and 400 lbs easy. The thing that I'll remember most is the smell. It was worse than what 100 rotten eggs would smell like.

Richard Sanders, Jerry and Paul Elliott.

Witness phone number provided but withheld from this report for privacy.

This report was originally received by Bobbie Short's Bigfoot Encounters Webpage from the witness on Friday, June 15, 2001 at 21:35:28 and sent to be investigated by Ken Marvel of the Texas Bigfoot Research Organization Friday, June 29, 2001:

"I talked to this person yesterday regarding his sighting. His name is Richard Sanders. Although the sighting was 15 years ago, his story sounded very fresh in his mind. He was 18 yrs old at the time. His two cousins were 15 and 16. I will enter this sighting in our database (TBRO). I think I was just as excited doing this phone interview, as he was telling his story. The only difference from his original sighting was, when the creature left to go back into the woods, he heard tree branches breaking. No footprints."
Ken Marvel, investigator for the TBRO